Saturday, October 28, 2017

Meet-ing Place

When it's 40 degrees and the attire for the day is tank tops and shorts, we really could have done without the wind. Show some mercy, Mother Nature!

Yup, today was the state cross country meet. It's convenient that it is only 5 minutes from our house. But first I had to drive 10 minutes away to catch a shuttle since there is no parking for the fan base at The Ridges Golf Course.

The Assumption boys didn't have to run until 2:35 p.m. when Division 3 would take off. But I had looked at the boys and girls qualifiers this morning and realized my friend Laura's daughter qualified for the Division 2 race. So I texted my old Marinette reporter buddy to see if she was coming to town. Sure enough, she and her hubby were on their way to cheer on the Random Lake-Ozaukee team.


There probably were like 10,000 people there. Not really exaggerating. But we found each other! And I was able to take some good photos of Molly running. That was cool (well, cold actually) and it was really nice to see them again.

Most kids were smart and layered up a bit for the run. Personally, I had my thick snowshoeing socks on, plus long underwear, a few layers on top, my Royal scarf I made and a warm hat. Still it was b-r-r-r.

The boys had an exciting race. I don't know if anyone posted their best time ever but they sure fought hard through the very crowded field of fast runners. As a team, they finished 10th. I hope they feel good about it.

Came home and it took me awhile to warm up. We had a little neighborhood Halloween gathering of sorts – thankfully inside a heated garage. No need for a bonfire tonight. Just wouldn't be warm enough!

Thanks to an idea from hubby, I brought a funky treat that I call the "Night of the Neighborhood Dead" taco dip. Personalized grave stones using an "edible" marker.


Got us all on there. And it tasted pretty good, too. Have never done a layered taco dip before. I should write down what I did before I forget. I also need to find some other uses for the special marker as long as I have it.

Don't think anyone will want a cemetery scene as part of their holiday treats.

No comments: