Sunday, October 29, 2017

Friendly and Not-So-Friendly Ghosts


Other than the potential to stockpile Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, I am not that big a fan of Halloween. I just don't like scary things.

At all.

Still, for some fun today, my friend Cindy and I took pictures of "Flat Casper" (for lack of a better name) at various "haunts" as part of a scavenger hunt. Thankfully, the only marginally scary photo requirement was a cemetery. The black cat, corn stocks and spider could all be fake if we wanted them to be.

The prize is a return to that haunted cafe for an evening of serious connections with the dead. Our team name was Witch-Consin Rapids Ghoul-Friends. I'll let you know how we do.

I extended my Halloween fun later when I attended an event in town called Halloween Aid. This was the 9th annual Halloween Aid Fright for Life but my first time going, mainly to see our friends' daughter dance.

All proceeds of this year's event are going to Aleah Applebee, who was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy-Type 1. SMA-1 is a neuromuscular disorder that prohibits the muscles from working like they should. Aleah has never sat down, stood, walked, or even talked. Because breathing and eating require muscles, Aleah uses a ventilator and feeding tube. Most children with SMA-1 do not live past the age of two, but at the age of six Aleah has blown past that boundary and continues to show that true strength does not require muscles.

The turnout was phenomenal. In fact the line was so long that I feared I wouldn't make it in in time to see the performance of Thriller.  But then I saw my friend and former co-worker Carmen (my Pentatonix pal) with her daughters and niece, so I sorta butted in line with them. 

I did get to see Elyse and the zombies dance to Thriller. That was scary good. 

But then the real fright came.

Do not ask me how the girls convinced Carmen and I to go in the Haunted Corn Maze. Did I mention I hate SCARY? I thought this might be the last picture of us alive!

Spoiler alert: I survived or I wouldn't be blogging.

Still, it was scary. Very scary for me. Girls thought so-so. Carmen and I thought very well-done and I screamed enough for the 5 of us. I may or may not have wet my pants. Apparently, my body naturally hates having dead bodies grab me and psycho doctors eat eyeballs right in front of us. Eww.

Gotta admit it was a fun evening for a last-minute, non-planned plan.

Now the only scary thing left is starting a new job tomorrow. Should be a breeze comparatively.

No comments: