Tuesday, October 31, 2017

My Treat

“…whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”
                                                                     – Matthew 25:40

Your eyes are not playing a Halloween trick on you. Yes, my car indicates it is only 31 degrees outside. And yes, I am having ice cream.

You know how I hate being cold. So you know it's for a good cause.

Today our local Dairy Queen had a fundraiser for the Helping Hands Gospel Mission – a relatively new effort whose primary concern is homelessness in Wood County. The organization is a Christ-centered non-profit that works with clients to achieve independence and self-sufficiency in their lives.

Due to the chilly weather and the fact that most people are either trick-or-treating or handing out candy, I don't know if they had a successful fundraiser or not. I sure hope so. Sadly it is a needed service in our community.

Just the other day when I was running errands on my day off, I stopped in at church to drop off some books. I was chatting with the church secretary who informed me that just that morning when she got to work, a homeless woman was camped out on our front door step, huddled under our rubber welcome mat for warmth. It was chilly during the night. Probably like the 31 degrees we are experiencing right now.

Can you imagine? I can't really.

But hearing it first hand, I don't doubt the story of one indicates the sad story of many.

We are blessed that God has given the Helping Hands Gospel Mission a passion for helping people – like the woman at church – who find themselves in difficult situations, whether they are jobless, homeless or going through a rough time. They are committed to doing what it takes and working with clients as long as necessary to get them on their feet. They believe in second chances.

Do you?

I admire their mission and am not sure I personally could do much to get involved. But I certainly can eat ice cream for a good cause.

If you know someone who needs that second chance, have them call 715-451-5262. If you can donate time or money to their efforts, visit their website at http://www.helpinghandsgospelmission.org/

Everyone deserves a treat.

No comments: