Thursday, October 5, 2017

Unexpected Orphans

It's strange to say, but two of my dearest friends from high school are now orphans.

My friend Gail's dad passed away today, about 10 days after an ATV accident. He was 82 and had been at a hospital in the Twin Cities since the accident. Gail's mom died just a few years ago and her brother just passed away this summer.

Since the time my dad died 4 years ago, my high school BFF Julie has lost both her mom and dad as well.

I feel like the odd man (woman) out with a parent still alive. But oh, so blessed. I called Mom tonight to tell her so.

"Mom, are you going to be around on Saturday? I need to see you. I need to hug you so you know how blessed I feel to still have you."

She loved hearing that. And I meant it. I was tearing up today when I heard the news about Gail's dad, just thinking about how fortunate I am to still have Mom. I can't take that for granted!

Since Julie and I plan to trek up to Luck for the visitation Saturday we will stop in for quick "hello" to Mom. And a hug.

And maybe a piece of pie.

She's on a baking streak this week as she prepares for the church bazaar this weekend. Yes, baking. Like mother, like daughter.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: