Friday, October 6, 2017

Life is Full of Surprises


Apparently there is a good side to having your kids sneak around and not tell you everything. But I'll get to that.

This weekend is homecoming for a lot of area high schools including Assumption. As usual, they precede their pep rally with Oktoberfest – a fundraiser for the school's German-American Exchange Program. We continue to support that program as much as we can since it changed Carter's life. And ours.

So after work today, I met hubby at the school. Nothing tops a dinner date in the school cafeteria. Especially when it's brats, German potato salad and apple strudel – accompanied by live polka music! Ya, sure. You betcha.

After our yummy meal, hubby went home and I swung by the library to check out some audio books. It takes me forever to go through their inventory because I have listened to a lot of them over the years and I never know what is new. I guess it did take me forever because Jim texted me wondering where I was. Normally, it wouldn't matter how far I lagged behind him, but now I know why he wanted me home.

Wasn't 10 minutes later when an unfamiliar car pulled into the driveway. "Someone's here," I said. "Don't know who it is. Don't know the car." All of a sudden the back door opens and out jumps College Boy! What??

What an awesome surprise!!

Of course I hugged the stuffing out of him! And then found out he and Dad were in cahoots. Actually Carter planned on Wednesday to come home for homecoming. He told Jim that he planned to surprise me.

Yup, thoroughly surprised! I had even texted him at lunch to see what was up this weekend. What a sneak. And I love it!


Pretty much been staring at this picture daily since he left for year two a month ago. And now it has come to life! Yay!

Naturally, he's already gone to see friends here and there and, I suspect, that will be the agenda for the weekend. That's what "homecoming" is all about. But I saw him first! And I'll get the last hug in on Sunday. So it's all good.

Life is full of surprises.

No comments: