Sunday, March 25, 2018

Shoulda Been Loyal to Loyola


I have admitted I know close to nothing about college hoops. And as for the NCAA playoffs, well, if the Badgers aren't in it, than I know absolutely nothing.

I pick random upsets (definitely the wrong one this year) and a different method to my Madness each year. This year, for example, I was thinking heart over head. I got burned when I picked Arizona to go all the way to the championship game because "Carter and I had fun there last year on spring break."

Guess I should have extended my warm fuzzies to other picks.

Take stinkin' Loyola University – Chicago. I know the place. I have person knowledge of it. Carter really does. As seen in the photo above, he spent 8 days there for a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) program back in 2014. He loved it. Had a great time meeting new friends and learning more about the career and life opportunities with STEM.

It was also his first real "college life" experience and that clinched the deal that he really, really wanted to go to higher ed after high school.

I cannot believe that was not enough for me to express some bracket loyalty to Loyola. If not the championship game. At least the Final Four. (Sincere congrats, though.)

As it is – thanks to Duke falling short in OT – I have one out of 4 teams left (Villanova) and no one in the championship game.

So did I learn my lesson? Uhm, about what? Nobody know basketball THAT well. I'm sure you can count on me to waste more time and money next year. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Wait... does anyone have a squirrel for a mascot? Oooh, I'm starting to see my 2019 strategy...

No comments: