Friday, March 23, 2018

There's Something in My Empty Nest


It's fitting that I would make these little spring bird's nest treats for a family birthday party tomorrow. Because our Empty Nest is not empty any more, either.

It's not filled with M&M's Easter eggs. Just College Boy and hugs. Works for me. And less calories.

Well, not quite.

Carter arrived a little after 4 p.m. Jim was already at church working the fish fry. And I got home after 4:30 p.m. I suggested a mother-son dinner out on the town since, if you recall, we really didn't get the opportunity during Christmas break. Wasn't taking chances this time. Jumped on an opening in his schedule!


Obviously, I saved no calories when we went to Jennings Bar and Grille and I had to have my favorite – the Pineapple Express Burger. Oh it's definitely as good as it looks. Burger, peanut butter, pineapple and sriracha.

In fact, when we stopped at Wal-Mart for a few groceries on the way home, Carter and I picked up some sriracha. Figured we spice up some meals over the course of the next week!

When we got home, I made the nests and Carter jetted off to see friends. That worked out fine. Tomorrow I'll be kidnapping him for a road trip. We'll have a full day with back-to-back birthday parties – one for his Grandma Hedberg over at my sister's in Hudson and, later, one for his Grandma Austin over at Jim's sister's here in Rapids.

A full day of eating and hugs and filling our nests and bellies.

And it goes without saying that my heart is full, too.

No comments: