Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Quit While You're Ahead... or Not

Have you ever played a slot machine, scored big and you know you should cash out but you "just gotta see" if maybe, just maybe, you'll win even bigger if you keep playing?

That was my golf game tonight.

I was subbing for our work league and hoped I could replicate last week's great (for me) outing. And at the same time, tempering my expectations that it never happens two times in a row. But we were playing the back nine again so maybe...

Imagine my surprise – seriously – when the first few holes started like last time, with putts for birdie. Say what?

This is where my drive landed on the par 3 12th hole. And... drum roll, please... I made the birdie putt! Yes! I can count the birdies in my life on one hand, believe me! So yes, I was excited that the first four holes went bogey, par, birdie, par! I have never, ever had two pars and a birdie in just a 9-hole outing.

Never.

Plus 8 of 9 drives were on the fairway. So I was a bit pumped. I should have quit, though, after a long par 5 and still 3 holes to go. While I was wearing the doctor-ordered bootie and being super deliberate and careful, Mr. Pinky was starting to hurt a bit. "But wait, I'm having the round of my life, let's power through it!"

And watch the wheels fall of the wagon.

Gah. So predictable. I still managed to shoot my age again. Dang, really wish I was still in my 40s if that's how it's going to go! But I would never complain about a 50. Not this amateur.

As soon as I got to my car, though, and sat down... wow. Holy throbbing toe! I deserve that. I really do. I should've listened to my head (and toe) and quit while I was ahead.

But... would you?

No pain, no gain, I guess. I can rest it now... until next Tuesday.

No comments: