Saturday, July 7, 2018

Things That Go Bump in the Night

Although mishaps can happen in a split second, they seem avoidable only when you break them down into a play-by-play slow motion event.

Since it's Saturday, today was my turn to see if the working man in the basement got up in time. Cue alarm at 5:25 a.m. I half sleepwalk down the steps. When I reach the bottom step, I feel my big toe on my left foot step into something squishy. Oh my. Is that cat poop? Well, that's gross. I wonder if I have to touch it or if I could just fling it off? Let me try to fling it off with a quick jerk of my foot. Oh my. Was that door frame right there? It should have moved for my foot. Ouch. That smarts. Cue floating stars and curse words. And extreme unhappiness with Princess Poops-A-Lot.

Carter was awake. That's the good news. And I don't think I broke my pinky and "ring" toes on my left foot. So that's good news.

But oh, did they throb today. I did ice them right away since I honestly thought I was going into shock. But I can be a bit of a drama queen so I was probably fine. They're a little bruised and the skin is scraped off a bit. But if that was the worst part of my day, who am I to complain?

I mean, I still will. But dang, that hurt!

Unfortunately, I wasn't the only victim of a split-second bump in the night today.

This evening hubby and I went up to Wausau to watch our nephew Colin race. It was meant to be his night. He was entering the race as the points leader for the Tundra Series. And he qualified with fast time tonight. It was looking good.

When the feature started, he was sitting back at 11th. He moved up to about 7th by the time the 75 lapper was 53 laps to go. He was about the same position about 10 laps later on a caution and restart. And the slow-motion replay...

During the restart, a car ahead of him spun out on the first "turn" and Colin couldn't avoid him. In a split second, Colin's car was damaged enough that Colin had to take it to the pits for a repair during the crash cleanup for the other guy. I can't even imagine how fast they were working in the pits to fix Colin's car. But they did it. Unfortunately, not in time for the race restart.

Dang. That hurt. I feel so bad for our dear #87. Hopefully, he can bounce back in points and all that with the remaining races. Still, it was fun to see him in action and doing well – for his part.

Beware the things that go bump in the night. They can sting a bit, too.


No comments: