Saturday, July 21, 2018

Students of Life


There's nothing wrong with high standards. As long as you pair them with humility. That's how we learn.

And today I learned a lesson.

As a photographer, I know that the worst time and place to shoot your subjects is in the bright sunlight, where they have to squint whether they're looking directly at it or not. That's why I was hoping for the forecasted cloudy conditions for my senior photo session today.

Forecast was wrong.

When hubby and I traveled up to Stratford to his cousin's house, it was bright and sunny. So when I took their son out and about around town and the football field, the poor kid's eyes couldn't catch a break. I had a devil of a time getting any images of him with really open eyes. Not his fault at all. Just didn't know of a lot of alternative settings because it wasn't my stomping grounds.

Naturally, as soon as we wrapped up, it became perfectly overcast. Figures. But we had to head back to Rapids since Jim was golfing with son #2 this afternoon.

Looking over the photos when I got home, I was disappointed. Too many squinty eyes and not enough of the types of portraits I know how to take. Granted, the bright sunshine was out of my control. But I'm taking ownership that I could have done something different. Better.

I turned it into a learning moment. I got some advice from an old photographer friend. Some tips for the next time the weatherman is wrong. I also reached out to the boy's family, told them I was dissatisfied with some of my work today – it didn't meet my standards, and we set up a second session.

So I need to move forward. Shake off the mentality that I screwed up. Appreciate the photos that did turn out. And apply lessons learned the next time.

Here's a few I am OK with....






Being a student of life for life is never easy, is it? Good thing I strive for progress, not perfection. And that there's almost always second chances.

No comments: