Saturday, January 1, 2022

New Year = New Possibilities


Since I wrote the January column for our church newsletter, I figured I'd share it here since, you know, it kind of has to do with New Year's!

New Year = New Possibilities

There’s something refreshing – especially in the midst of a global pandemic – about turning the calendar page to a new year. The simple action simultaneously closes the door on another challenging year (for many) while opening the door to hope and possibilities.

If you were naïve like me and thought 2020 was unique and that 2021 would be completely different, you know where I’m coming from. Can we realistically have hope in 2022? I’m going to go out on a limb and say yes, I think we can. And I’ll tell you why.

First of all, if you’re reading this, you’re still here! Pretty sure I took my health for granted one too many times back in the pre-pandemic days. Now each day that I breathe easy, can taste and smell, and have energy, I’m especially grateful. 

My prayers go out to those of you who’ve either suffered through COVID or watched someone you love experience it or worse, die from it. I don’t think it’s going to go away completely during this next calendar year or maybe ever, but I have hopes that the more the smarter-than-me people know, the more they can figure out a way we can all live with it.

Another reason I have better expectations for 2022 is that life is still going on. With “normal” things. On my new calendar, I already have 3 weddings and 2 due dates marked. Friends and family are still embracing love and life. Shouldn’t we do the same? 

I’ve also discovered another way to see the possibilities in the new year: Don’t set New Year’s resolutions!

Hey, if you don’t set them, you can’t break them. Can’t suck the joy out of your life by trying to follow them. Can’t be disappointed in your lack of dedication to achieve them.

Sounds like the easy way out. And it sort of is. I just know that I’ve probably had the same “lose weight” resolution on my list for 30 straight New Year’s. I think it’s time I change my mindset to, “Learn to love and accept myself the way God does – while  taking care of my body to the best of my ability.”

Why yes, it is sad that it can take so long to figure out what’s important in life. Maybe a once-in-a-century pandemic had something to do with it. I for one am thankful it opened my eyes to better see the blessings in my life.

May this new year do the same for you. Each square on your calendar brings new possibilities – and new opportunities to thank God for our blessings. 

Bring it on, 2022. We got this!

No comments: