Wednesday, January 19, 2022

The Long Range


It got winter again today.  You know, the single digits kind. After sprinting to the mailbox – OK walking quickly – to spend as little time outdoors as possible, I noticed these jackets on the chair when I came back in. 

Took me a minute to realize there are two there since they're both black. And I immediately recognized them as belonging to our young son and his lady friend. Who left on Monday.

When it was nice – Midwest standards nice. And no jacket required. Especially if you're riding inside a car for 3 hours.

But that was Monday. Today we've got temps that'll dip down to about minus 8 while we sleep and not get too far over the positive line in the coming days. I hope they don't plan on going outside much. I'm sure she's got another coat but our boy pretty moved his stuff home. 

I guess we forgot that one of the important lessons of adulting is checking the long-range forecast. It could change a dozen times, but check it anyway. It's not like we have to call Time and Temp to get the weather anymore. Or wait for the evening news or even just Local on the 8's. These fancy phones take any excuses out of the picture.

I wonder if they're cold. I wonder if they'd admit it.

Nope. Another lesson of adulting is that you don't have to tell your parents every time they're right. We already know, kids. We already know.

Oh and to save you all some time...


Bundle up and be careful out there! 

No comments: