Friday, January 28, 2022

Rink Rat

Pretty sure I've been at the ice rink more times this "season" than the last 3 combined. But that's OK. I'm almost starting to understand the game. Just kidding. Not even close. Still, it's fun to watch, I'll admit.

Tonight I decided to head to my first Wisconsin Rapids RiverKings (Junior A Hockey) game ever for a couple reasons.


One, my cousin Luke messaged me this afternoon that he and some UWSP friends would be there playing in the RiverKings Pep Band. Oh yeah, it's a thing!


Two, I knew my friends from the Family Center were going to be there as a sponsor – and my friend Debi got to drop the ceremonial puck. Cool.


And three, I've wanted to catch this guy in action since I took his senior pictures a couple years back. Ethan is from Colorado but has a family connection in town here. He's one of the team's 3 goalies and wasn't in the net tonight, but I caught up with him between periods to say hello and send his mom back home a picture. 

I also ran into a few friends – of course – so it was a nice evening. But no worries on me becoming a rink rat (probably not even a real term) because I liked coming home to my warm house and bed way more than a shootout victory for our local team!

Sorry, not sorry. Nice win, though!

No comments: