Wednesday, January 5, 2022

The Road Home


We never stop worrying about our kids, do we? So when it was snowing and blowing all day and we knew our boy and his girlfriend were coming up from southwest Wisconsin, we urged him to text when he was hitting the road this afternoon. 

Just so I knew when I could officially start worrying, of course.

We probably only got 4 inches tops here in Wisconsin Rapids and lesser amounts south. But "the kids" still encountered slippery, crappy road conditions (the pink ones above) once they got off the interstate. They made it by 8 p.m. Late dinner, but they made it safely so that's all the matters.

Now it's just plain cold and windy. But we have a strapping young snow shoveler in the house!

I had to run to town after work to buy a Powerball ticket. (So if you never hear from me again, you'll know why.) It was actually only the first or second time this winter I wore my winter coat. I mean I have it in car if I'm driving somewhere at night – just in case – but a vest or just sweatshirt is usually sufficient for running in and out of gymnasiums or the store.

I feel like one of those Midwestern memes where it has to be below zero to wear a coat. And yep. That's what's coming. 

Like it does every winter in Wisconsin. Duh. 

Since our companywide return-to-office date has been delayed again (thanks, omicron), I guess long underwear and layers will be the "business casual" attire in my office the rest of the week. 

Be careful out there. Even tough Midwesterners should probably wear layers. Or at least throw your jacket in the back seat. Then no one has to know you caved.


No comments: