Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sunday Scavenger Hunt

My search for a nice photograph is sort of like a scavenger hunt. But I don't really have clues. And the ones I have are really weird.

After talking about eagles yesterday, someone asked if I'd seen any snowy owls? I haven't but I remembered a friend photographing several a few years back on a road kind of near here. There's a first clue for a photo hunt.

So this afternoon I drove other there and followed that road a lot of miles, only going about 45 mph so I could look both ways and up and down and drive. Did not see any animals with or without feathers. Took an artistic photo of this old barn, figuring that was it for my hunting outing.

Finally decided to get off the main road and took some side roads, trying to keep it in a square so I wouldn't get lost. Was just about to turn back when I saw a bird flying in the distance. A bigger one. I thought maybe a hawk or eagle but had to snap a picture to be sure. 

When I zoomed in and saw the white tail, I knew I at least had an eagle in my general vicinity.

That one flew off before I could follow it, but when I glanced to the south and saw a black. spot on a tree, my hope and curiosity made me check it out. 

Had to get close before I confirmed it was an eagle, not a hawk. Tried shooting a picture but it was hidden behind branches and my camera loves to focus on little branches in the foreground. Grrr. Decided to drive past the tree and hopefully get a better view from the other side.


And I did. Hopped out of the car, not caring that I was standing in the middle of the road and looking up. Thankfully a dirt road in Wisconsin rarely has traffic. So I sneaked closer to get a shot. By the way, you can't sneak up, under, or near an eagle. They are smarter than your average bird.


So Mr. Eagle promptly took off and I could only snap a few pictures because red pickup truck was barreling towards me. Well it sounded like it was barreling. 


When he got past, Mr. Eagle was already in the distance. I didn't follow him back down the road from where I just came. Selfishly I thought I might see him on the other side of the block. Or finally see some snowy owls.

Nope for both.

I guess they crossed "human" off their Sunday scavenger hunts and had something better to look for.

No comments: