Monday, February 9, 2009

Comfortably Numb

I'm watching President Obama's press conference and thinking, if I would have stayed in newspaper journalism, maybe I'd be there asking questions. Not likely, but I can dream. All I really would want to know is if he his bailing out the Tooth Fairy, too, because after today, I don't think the TF can afford my well-deserved hefty payout!

After my initial toothache exam last week, I have been on an antibiotic and pain meds (as needed) in preparation for today's extraction. That's the dentist's technical way of saying, "I'm goin' in with the pliers!"

The thing is, my tooth didn't even hurt yesterday or today -- probably due to the antibiotics -- so I really wanted to call and cancel my appointment. But wisely chose not to, knowing this pain-free moment was probably going to be short-lived.

My appointment was scheduled for 5 p.m. so we were planning to leave work at 4. Around 2 p.m. the dentist office calls and my first thought (with fingers crossed) was something came up and they wouldn't be able to get me in. Not even close. It was more like, "Robyn, our 4 o'clock canceled so could you come in an hour earlier?" Wow, get my tooth pulled even sooner? Lucky me!

I guess it was good because I was so busy at work today I didn't have time to think about it and build up the nerves. But I made up for it in the chair. I was so nervous that when he finally did pull it (after several injections to make it numb), I just about fainted. But I didn't, so score one for me for being a "big girl!"

It hurt really bad, though, for the next hour -- until the Vicoden kicked in. Now I am comfortably numb. I think the bleeding is about done and the swelling is going down a bit so I'm pretty sure I'll survive this OK.

I still think the Tooth Fairy owes me big time. But I didn't hear anything about that bailout yet so I'll have to be content that hubby took pity on me and has relinquished the couch for the night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yuck! It's been awhile since I've had such an unpleasant experience at the dentist, but I feel your anxiety. The thought of it makes me squeamish! Hope you feel better! I'm glad you were able to put on your big girl pants!
High School Jules