Sunday, February 22, 2009

Supply Chain

It's been said "A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind." So when I look at my "craft room" -- a cross between a hurricane and a war zone -- I am put at ease knowing my mental health is completely intact.

I believe there are different levels of organization. And yes, I say that mostly to defend the conditions of the Scrap Cave (where I seek underground escape from reality to surround myself with the super-powers of creativity). Sure, I am ashamed that it looks like the remnants of Katrina. But I am a little smug that I can tell you where everything is located -- from a piece of paper with dragonflies to adhesive-backed buttons (which I actually needed today). So it's organized alright. Even if it's just an organized mess.

This came in handy today when Carter and I spent most of the afternoon working on a school project. He made these almost life-size cut-outs of a hobo and a spaceman that he will use to present a story he wrote. We cut holes where the faces should be so he can stick his face in there when he takes on that character. This was all his idea. Very cool. I was just a link in the supply chain.

We needed just the right papers, including a flannel "shirt" for the hobo and some holographic silver paper for the space dude, and of course, yarn for hair and the right adhesives to hold it all together.

Carter was in awe with my personalized craft store. "Wow, you have everything we could possibly need! It's like no matter what the project, my mom has the stuff!" He thanked me profusely and said it was a good thing I had everything "otherwise we'd have to be in the store 24/7 saying 'I need this... I need that... I need this...'"

Good point. Another reason I can't throw anything away. I'll just file it in my trusty organization system under "Someday."

No comments: