Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Under Pressure

When I'm on the golf course and I miss a putt for birdie, I always claim I choked because "There's too much pressure!" To which my better half always responds: "There's no such thing as pressure!"

I beg to differ.

However, I will go so far as to admit the only person who can put pressure on me is me. If I was content to just get by, putting forth the minimum effort, there'd be a lot less pressure. But I'm not wired that way. I do want to do my best and give 110 percent, as they say.

I'm certainly not unique. In fact I know a lot people (am even married to one) who won't settle for mediocrity. And I respect that.

I feel for these contestants on American Idol. They have worked hard to get where they are at, but let's face it, they had to have talent, too. Watching tonight, as we see the number of contestants dwindling from thousands to a hundred and now 50, the pressure is evident. They are nervous. They want to -- and expect to -- do their best. Until they let nerves get the best of them and they choke.

Since we didn't get to see the performances of my friend's niece and husband, we're not sure why Tom wasn't chosen to move on, but he is done. Bummer.

Tonight, at the end of the show, they had the remaining contestants divided into 4 rooms. They were letting the whole room continue on or go home. We saw the first room go on, the second room get sent home, then the third room go on. Becky's niece Jenn Korbee was in the 4th room.

The judges sure sounded like that room was being sent home, too. And we in the audience (us 7 girls watching at Becky's) thought so, too, since we thought the number of contestants were going to be cut in half tonight.

They kept panning the faces in the room and we saw a very nervous Jenn several times. We just wanted to cry because we were sure they were sending that room home. All of sudden, they said, "You're going on!" We all just screamed (you probably heard us), we were so excited! It sure feels good when you can release pressure that way!

We saw previews for tomorrow night and saw Jenn singing so we're hoping finally we'll get to hear her perform. And, hopefully, it won't be for the last time.

No comments: