Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Temporary Reprieve

Not sure what time Carter and his friend went to bed last night (since I sort of passed out) but I'm pretty sure it was after 11. So I was surprised to hear them tip-toeing downstairs at 7:10 a.m. Ugh. On a Saturday? C'mon! I reluctantly dragged my keester out of bed by 8 so I could make them some cinnamon rolls.


When I saw how nice it was outside -- one of those deceptively sunny days that make you think we should have the front door open -- I put my nose to the grindstone to get some things done. I had my last batch of Sunday School curriculum to write and I wanted it off my plate. When I say last, I mean last one after 5 years of doing this. It's time to pass the baton. And I am soooo ready! I finished it late morning and let out a whoop. One, because I was done. And two, the thermometer out back said 45 degrees!


Sometimes Mother Nature can be such a tease, giving us a nice spring-like day when we know it won't last. We are so desperate in Wisconsin, though, we take the joke and get on with our day, enjoying the temporary reprieve. I was able to get outside for a walk in the fresh air and that felt great! Didn't hurt to log a few miles, too.


After lunch, we took Carter's friend home and later took Carter over to Grandpa and Grandma Austin's. They kept him for the night so hubby and I could enjoy a date. Yup, you read that right! A date!


We met some friends over in Appleton for dinner and then went to a comedy show. The comics were hilarious! As usual, I will never remember the jokes -- and could only dream of the same delivery -- but it was entertaining as heck. I smiled so much my mouth hurt (that and the toothache!)

All in all, today was a nice reprieve from the dead (or dread) of winter. Thanks, Mother Nature. (And hubby, too!)

No comments: