Sunday, February 15, 2009

United States of Robyn

There's a new series on Showtime called the United States of Tara about a woman whose stress causes multiple personalities to surface. I think I mentioned before that hubby has suggested I watch this. I have watched it. I just can't get into it. It's pretty whacky. But then, that may be why I supposedly could identify with it, no?

Looking back over my Sunday, I have to laugh, though. My "activities" were all over the place -- like could this be one person with all these sporadic interests? I swear it's all me. No split personalities that I am aware of.

Got up early enough to get Carter to Sunday School. While he was there, I went to Wal-Mart to get some grocery shopping done. Did you know it takes a lot longer to do when you are trying to buy healthy stuff? All that label reading! Plus, I had to capitalize on all that leftover Valentine candy that was 50% off today. (Hey, that's for my candy jar at work. I swear.)

When we got home, Carter went to his room to get some reading done and I went online to sign up for the NASCAR challenge on ESPN.com. Jim and I are already in the "Streak for Cash" competition on there, where you pick winners and various outcomes of every sporting event from soccer to martial arts to golf. You see how long a winning streak goes and somebody will win a million dollars if they get 27 right in a row. My best streak is 4. Anyway, we are "competing" against another couple from work and whoever has the most wins come spring has to buy a round of golf for the other couple. Sounds fair, right? We are pretty much neck-and-neck.

I guess we figured since we're only obsessed with making picks 90% of the time, we should throw the new stock-car challenge into the mix for the other 10%. I logged in as GearHead68 and made picks without any research... and it showed. I tanked today but we'll see what next week brings. I swear I am not going to spend any extra time thinking about it. But if we jump into the Fantasy Fishing challenge next (and it does exist), I am so out of here!

I promised Carter we'd go on a movie date this weekend so we headed to a matinee after lunch. Now over the years we've got a pretty good track record with kids movies. I think there was only one I absolutely hated and maybe one or two more that were pretty boring or just not that entertaining for adults.

I added another one on that list today with Mall Cop. I don't mean to offend anyone who enjoyed it. I just saw all the funny parts in the previews, I guess. Plus, since I have been so good on my non-diet new healthy eating plan, I couldn't even chow down on popcorn. I was sitting there pondering which makes me a bigger loser today -- joining a NASCAR challenge or watching Paul Blart. It's a toss up.

By the time I got home, I just wanted some Robyn normalcy and scrapbooked for awhile. Some would claim that makes me a loser, too, but you wouldn't dare say that to my face, would you? I didn't think so. Since I'm working on my 2007 book, this afternoon I scrapbooked the pages on a 5K I ran that year. So I was inspired to jump on the treadmill again. Yes, I know. That's two days in a row. Perhaps there is another personality lurking about (in Nikes, no less)!

Tonight after supper, Jim and I watched the movie Burn After Reading. We were laughing out loud by the end. But I tell you it's way, way different humor than Mall Cop. Much more twisted and a helluva lot of swearing. If you liked the weird (understatement) humor of Fargo or the Big Lebowski, rent it sometime.

Well that about sums up the day. I think I can be one person with one personality who happens to be a gearheaded, yo-yo dieting scrapbooker with a sense of humor, can't I?

Oops. Time's up. I gotta log off so I can make another pick!

No comments: