Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Sunday

Sunday, Jan. 25, 1981

Dear Diary,
The hostages came home today. The Raiders won the Super Bowl -- 27-10 -- and I thought for sure the Eagles would win...

Sunday, Jan. 24, 1982

Dear Diary,
Today was the Super Bowl. I bet Raylene 50 cents that the San Francisco 49ers would beat the Cincinnati Bengals. San Francisco won 26-21...

Trying to predict the winner of the Super Bowl is really a lucky guess no matter what the oddsmakers say. As evidenced by my teenage diary entries, you pretty much have a 50-50 chance. I mean both teams have to be pretty good to have made it this far, right?

I didn't really care who won today as long as it was a good, close game. If, as a bonus, I won some money that would be OK, too. It didn't exactly go as planned.

First, I didn't feel that great all day -- like I'm on the fringe of having the flu or something. But I laid down awhile after lunch and was willing to carry on. (I had done all that Super Bowl baking, after all!) Son number one came out around 3 to watch Carter and we headed to our party. It was good to see our friends Mike & Steen and whole slew of people we normally only see during the summer at the races. Not exactly a quiet bunch -- but we're all too old to be getting into too much trouble.

I've got to hand it to Dreamworks and their marketing of the Monsters & Aliens movie. Who would of thought we'd have a basement full of people (mostly over 40) wearing 3-D glasses to watch one commercial? It was kinda of funny. Too bad the commercial wasn't as cool as I'd hoped.

Our entertainment ended some time in the third quarter when hubby's cell phone rang. It was Carter reporting water is leaking into his room. So we headed home to what we knew was probably an "ice dam" on the roof like we had last year. Damn, indeed! Jim got up on the roof with the axe while I scanned for other leaks inside.

At least we both caught the exciting end of the game. Pretty sure neither of us won money. We could have used that for our "roof fund." Maybe next year. But I'm not betting on it.

No comments: