Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Give Up?

The Lenten season is officially upon us. I should probably make it clear that I was raised Lutheran so I didn't grow up with this routine of giving up something for 40 days and 40 nights. Though I will capitalize on any opportunity for a Friday night Fish Fry.

I actually jumped on the deprivation bandwagon a few years ago because everyone else was doing it. Seriously, I am not knocking this important ritual. I am just admitting at the outset that I do my best during Lent and feel God recognizes my effort. I have a spiritual connection with my Higher Power every day -- and I don't think that changes because I break down and have a Shamrock Shake on St. Patrick's Day. But that's just me. I'm not starting a religious controversy here.

So Carter asked me the other day if I was going to do the "swear board" again. "Remember last year when you had to pay for swear words and f-bombs?" Oh nice. This kid doesn't forget anything! I told him I probably wasn't going to do that this year because the anti-sailor talk has been an ongoing effort (I feel Jim rolling his eyes).

Carter announced that he is going to follow that pay-to-play tally-board format, though. "I am going to pay if I play my PS2 or Nintendo DS," he said. Wow. Giving up video games was his own idea and, trust me, that is a sacrifice. At first he said he was going to pay a dollar for playing PS2 and a dime for the DS, but now he's settled on a quarter each time for either. He hasn't decided what he is going to do with the money or, more importantly, where he's getting the money to pay for it (besides the Tooth Fairy). So I guess we'll hope his willpower and dedication are better than Mommy's.

I, on the other hand, grappled with my Lenten pledge. Frankly, with my current attempt to restrict myself from sweets, I've been in a state of deprivation all of 2009. So instead of taking something more away, I am going to add.

I am vowing to do 30 minutes of some cardio activity daily -- even if that has to be broken up over 3 10-minute walks during breaks some days. This will be my way to focus on healthy living and taking care of this beautiful body God gave me.

I suppose I could add that if I do break down and have a Shamrock Shake, I have to double my cardio time. Nah. I'll save that for next year...

2 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Girl! What you need to "give up" is worrying about being fat! Let it go, like me. I rather enjoy the heavy breathing I do when I move around. My hubby rather "enjoys" my skin-tight clothes and the "love handles." My employer enjoys the money I spend on lunches and breakfasts in the cafeteria. My druggest enjoys the money on I spend on high blood pressure medicine. Life being fat and NOT fretting over it is really quite enjoyable. You ought to try it, you might like it! Rayna

Robyn Austin said...

Good points, Rayna! Just like sticking to a diet, not thinking about one is probably easier said than done, too. But worth a try. Probably one of the reasons my New Year's resolution this year was simply to learn to love myself, right? I'm just a work in progress.