Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Digital Deadline

As I'm typing, I'm looking at my bare fingernails wondering how I didn't find time to put on a fresh coat of nail polish when I had three days off. I guess I just ran out of time...

Sounds like I'm not the only one with time management issues, though. Today was supposed to be the day that broadcasters switch to all digital, leaving those with analog TVs (rabbit ears) in need of a magic digital converter box or, here's an idea, a new TV.

Amazingly, there are people taken by surprise by this. Are you kidding me? There have commercials and scrolling type on the news stations for at least the past year. But now, because some people didn't find the time -- and the government found some other excuses -- this conversion is likely going to be delayed. At least parts of it.

We aren't concerned in our house. We've got cable so we're set. Though I am constantly looking for an excuse to get a big ol' flatscreen of some kind.

My parents (who still have a rotary phone, too) will be impacted, though, and since they are "wintering" in Texas at my sister's, I don't know if they've made plans for this. Perhaps after being exposed to 300 cable channels at her house, they won't want to go back to their 3 local stations (plus FOX when the wind is in the right direction).

I meant to ask them about this before they went South so I could offer some assistance, if needed, but I guess I ran out of time. You know how that goes...

3 comments:

Christine said...

Interestingly, the conversion on channel 9 didn't go as planned. I came home for lunch today, to find a "frozen" picture that hasn't moved in over 10 minutes. Looks like even the t.v stations may not have been as prepared as they thought...

Anonymous said...

You'll be happy to know that your folks already have the converter boxes. Think they plan to have Rachel install after they get back (if the stations switch)

Paul

Ron Hedberg said...

All of the Twin Cities stations appear to be still up. Some have switched analog to lower power antennas.

PBS TPT 2 was supposed to go to four channels overnight (the end of the 17th). But so far this morning, I only got one new station 2.2 TPT MN.

My digital stations come in much, much clearer than the old ones, especially stations 2-5. But I haven't been up to Cushing to see how well the signal reaches up there. If it all goes well, they will get extra channels for weather, news, kids, worship, lifestyle, and more.

For those with cable or satellite, you will probably miss out on several of the new local digital channels unless you also get a converter box. For local content, those with "less" (no cable), will actually have more.