Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Casual Summer

It's 8:10 p.m.... The sun is setting... The blanket is on.... Summer is over...

So of course it's fitting that we finally got the air conditioner fixed at work after 6 weeks of ugh (that's Scandinavian for "hot, stale air"). The best part about it was that it was ultra-casual wear summer at work. I mean we couldn't go around in spaghetti straps and Daisy Dukes. But we were allowed to wear shorts! Nice shorts you'd wear golfing or to church in the summer, but shorts nonetheless. I'll miss that.

I'm already missing the longer daylight hours! No more walking or biking way after supper. Gotta plan that earlier already.

My parents have a bigger adjustment.

I was talking to my mom tonight to see how post-twister cleanup, etc., is going. It's getting there. The "shrapnel" has all been hauled away and their yard is looking as normal as it can. I was talking about the sun setting and she said, "Yeah, we can see the sunset pretty good now." Not that they wanted to lose their whole western tree line to accomplish that! They also have a great view of the lake again. Ditto on the unfortunate reason for it.

We both agreed that it's much nicer to have the cool and breezy days this week compared to that heat and humidity last week (which I know was not good for my dad). Of course, she tells me, the extra humidity made her African Violet houseplants bloom like crazy. What? How does that happen? She doesn't just have a green thumb, she must have green lungs. She just breathes and her plants blossom.

I didn't have the heart to tell her the little plant she sent home with me earlier this summer has met its demise. I'm going to try to nurse it back to health but I think we're going to have to set it out with next week's garbage.

This is why I wisely did not plant any flowers outside this summer. One, I knew we wouldn't be around much at all. Secondly, well, I may have a stubborn streak about some things but I am first to admit I have no horticultural talents! Maybe next summer....

I guess we can still enjoy what little is left of this one. We brought some corn home so we'll finally get some good corn on the cob tomorrow night. And the guy at King Cone tells us they aren't closing up shop until late September!

So it ain't over yet!

No comments: