Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Unexpected

This has been a week of little surprises. Not the "surprise birthday party with yummy cake" kind of surprises. More like the "oh, I wasn't expecting this turn of events" sort of unexpectedness.

We learned our jobs are changing again at work. We know from experience and many previous corporate "right-sizing" efforts to expect the unexpected. In this day and age, we have learned to be "fluid." Our job titles may remain essentially the same, but our job duties are everchanging, ever evolving. Fluid.

Both hubby and I will face some interesting transition challenges in the next few months or so, but we are both so grateful to remain employed, we'll do what we have to do.

Not all surprises are bad.

Carter surprised us last night when he asked us to play chess. This was unexpected. Not in a bad way. Just had no idea he knew anything about it. Turns out he didn't -- before yesterday. He learned from a friend at Kidz Camp and thought it was fun. (Trust me, if Mom or Dad had suggested it, he probably wouldn't have even tried it!)

So he took on Daddy first. Daddy showed no compassion for the newbie and check-mated him in somewhat record time. Then it was my turn. I was trying to be fair (read: nice mommy) and not kick his butt, but then I got too far off my strategic track and he nearly beat me. Saved by a stale mate!

Today Carter went to his former afterschool babysitter's for the day so he could see the kids one more time before he is too old (and too cool) to associate with them. He was like a celebrity there. "Carter's here! Carter's here!" During naptime for the little kids, Carter taught Audrey (the sitter) how to play chess. He ended up beating her but was no match for her checker-playing ability. Apparently that really put him in his place because tonight he did not request a chess rematch with Daddy or me.

We did get one more little surprise tonight.

My stepson Casey had mentioned he wanted to come out for supper one of these nights. Since we have plans the rest of the week, we said tonight would work best. I did not realize until he was on his way that he was bringing a friend with.

I will say it was kind of cool to finally set a place at the table for another girl! (Not that I don't love all my boys.) And it was also very cool to meet his very nice, pretty and down-to-earth girlfriend... that we did not know much about. He can be quiet, that Casey. I'm sure he didn't want to make a big deal about it so that we wouldn't either. I only showed her 2 scrapbooks. (Hey, Casey was so adorable! Still is!)

We had a very nice evening. Sometimes the unexpected can be a pleasant surprise! Makes me wonder what else the week has in store for us...

No comments: