Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the Thirst-teenth

My husband is one to say, "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all." He's just trying to be clever. We all know how super lucky he is to have me, right?

Today was the only Friday the 13th for 2010. And because time flies so quickly and I am losing track what day of the week it is, I was ill prepared for the supposedly unlucky holiday. I had no time to work up a good case of paraskevidekatriaphobia -- that's "fear of Friday the 13th" for you lay people.

And that's OK because it was really just a normal day (barring any strange events in the next 2 hours).

Had a busy day at work since we were off yesterday. Before we knew it, it was 3 o'clock and time to go. I love summer hours -- but only 3 more "early release" Fridays left!

We had some wicked weather go through central Wisconsin so before noon they had already called off racing for tonight at Golden Sands. Part of me was bummed because it was supposed to be "Kids Night" and Carter could have ridden in his cousin Colin's super stock for a lap. (I guess they'll do it 2 weeks instead.) The other part of me was sort of relieved we didn't have to go somewhere tonight. We've had quite the busy week!

We had already planned to hit The Harbor in Waupaca after work. Now instead of rushing off to the races, we were able to stay awhile. The Harbor bar & grill is located on the Chain of Lakes and is always a pretty spot to tip back some cold Diet Coke and watch the sunset. It was too cloudy for much sun, but drinks were going around.

There ended up being at least a dozen of us from work -- including 3 former employees who have moved on to other things but still live close enough to enjoy The Harbor on occasion. We had a nice time. Carter knows most of them, too, so he had fun. We had supper there and hit the road around 7:30 p.m.

Since I was designated driver, I got to choose the route home. We just happened to go past Scoopers Ice Cream Parlor down the road. Did you know a single scoop of hard ice cream there is equal to about a pint? I'm serious! Well worth $2.90 for a "scoop" of Mint Chocolate Chip. Oh yeah!

Had to run a quick errand in town when we got back but am safely home on this suspiciously scary day -- and aiming to be in bed ASAP so I can wake up to a normal, Saturday the 14th tomorrow.

No comments: