Friday, August 6, 2010

If You've Got It, Flaunt It

We got exposed to something today I've never seen before. Sorry, guys, this is a bit different than the topless girls on South Beach. This is something akin to the Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous -- which up until today I'd only seen on TV.

We took a 3-hour tour (nothing like Gilligan's Island) on a "riverboat" called the Jungle Queen, which toured us through the water canals in the city of Fort Lauderdale. The area is appropriately called "Millionaires' Row." We saw mansions and yachts so huge I think my whole neighborhood could reside in them! Unbelievable!

There was a guy who bought a new $25 million yacht and still had his "old, smaller" one for sale for a bargain price of something like $13 million.

There were homes of famous millionaires (likely billionaires) like the Firestone family, the daughter of Dave Thomas (Wendy's restaurant), David Stern, Barbara Mandrell and some guy who has been a big owner of the Miami Dolphins and still holds 5% of the franchise.

We saw homes the had been used on the set of a lot of movies from the old Where the Boys Are to the remake of Cape Fear to Holy Man and Any Given Sunday. Then, finally, the house used in the Miami Vice series! I knew I'd see a glimpse of something from that show!

After we saw how the other half (of half of one-half percent) lives, we enjoyed our last afternoon of Florida sunshine around the pool! Hate to think about leaving. But it's time to pack. Wonder if I can fit the ocean in my carry-on!

No comments: