Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Making Waves

We have discovered that one way to beat the heat (within reason) is to get up with the sun.

This morning, all six of us trekked down to the beach and were treated to a still pleasantly warm swim in calm waters. It was awesome. We pretty much had the beach to ourselves. Without the thousands of feet kicking up sand, the water was so clear we finally could see the shells on the bottom, too. Pretty cool way to start the day if I do say so myself!

After we got back and had breakfast, we made the mistake of turning on ESPN -- or should I call it the All-Favre Network? Yes, we tuned it in for awhile but knew better than to waste an entire vacation day worrying (not really) -- wondering about something that could change a dozen times before our first regular-season game. He just likes to make waves (sort of our like our beach out front.) You all know where the Austins stand. We'd be just fine if the rumors were true and we could finally cheer for the whole team! And that's all we're saying about that!

Today was our free day -- as in free of scheduled plans. We played some cards during the hot part of the day. Then Jim, Carter and I took a walk in the afternoon so Carter could get a shirt he wanted, I could find a Fort Lauderdale item, too, and, most importantly, find an ice cream shop! Had some Dulce la Leche Cheesecake ice cream -- basically vanilla with caramel and chunks of cheesecake. Yum. Too bad we had to eat it fast before it melted!

Tonight we ate in and then all hit the beach again -- the other "cooler time." I didn't swim. I walked down the sandy part of the beach a mile and then walked back along the wavy shore part. Beautiful walk AND I found some shells. So my pedometer is happy and so am I!

We're watching the Twins on TV again. Seems weird I have to come to Florida in order to see them on TV. We're flipping back between the Twins-Rays game and Marlins-Phillies game since we'll be seeing that game in person tomorrow night at this time! You know baseball. Can't get enough of it.

Sort of like ice cream!

No comments: