Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Free Advice

So after our evening of stress last night, it wasn't really any surprise I didn't sleep that well. But I was bound and determined to put on a happy face today -- at least for Carter's sake since he had to listen to my "rants" in hubby's absence.

It was only natural that before he went out to the bus stop he made sure he wished me a good day. I said I just hoped it would be better than yesterday.

Then he offered these words of advice for having a stress-free day: "Just be grateful you're not one of those people who have 6 jobs and 9 kids at home to feed PLUS 4 skunks. (I raised my eyebrows.) Yes, that's the scenario, Mom. So be grateful."

OK, then. I guess I had no choice but to be grateful and stress-free.

I managed quite well. After a productive morning, I went with a friend on a "gelato run." Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip gelato for lunch, you say? Oh yes. It can be done! Yum.

In the mid-afternoon, I had my weekly 15-minute chair massage. You understand I had to go to great lengths to reverse the damage of yesterday, right?

I actually had to leave work a few minutes early, too. Carter had a yearbook meeting after school so I told him to walk to the library and do homework until I got there -- but that I'd get there by 5 p.m. so we could eat before Confirmation. It all worked out. We shared some food at Taco John's and each got a mini-Blizzard of the Pumpkin Pie variety at DQ. Between that and some follow-up retail therapy at Wal-Mart, I'm feeling much better now.

I only had to deal with a few "rumbles" in the car but I managed to keep the temperature steady because, yes, I have that power. Right. I know God slapped me awake in the middle of the night to remind me I am powerless over everything so why not turn it over?

Between that and the focused gratitude and stress relievers today, I think that wise young man of the house is onto something...

No comments: