Sunday, October 10, 2010

Weekend Warrior

I'm pretty sure the definition of "weekend warrior" is something about taking on too big a project for one weekend. But what if that "project" is the weekend itself? That's where I come in. I had a weekend completely packed with activities. I mean completely. But you know, it was so much fun I wouldn't have had it any other way (says the blogger with a big yawn)....

Homecoming Performance:

Carter's Marching Band debut was a success Friday night. They played a half-hour pregame show, then marched and played 3 songs at halftime. He did fine. Nothing that would make America's Funniest Home Videos or anything...

There are 81 members of the Marching Band, which combines the Assumption Middle & High School bands. Carter is in the front row, to the right of the girl without the uniform.

The weather was quite warm Friday, if you recall, so it didn't take him long to get a red face.

Here Carter finds the next selection to play.

This baritone is pretty big to hold a half hour and then hold again to march around the football field. I said to Carter, "I bet you'd prefer the trumpet for Marching Band, wouldn't you?" Kind of, he said! (By the way, Assumption won their game, 10-8.)

Lettie's 5K Tomorrow River Run:
I tried to get to bed at a decent time Friday night because I had a race over in Amherst Saturday morning.
My neighbors Niki (left) and Cindy joined me. Cindy twisted her knee in the Pumpkin Run last week so she was unable to run. She served as a great cheerleader for the other Desperate Housewives of Blue Jay Drive though!

Here we are at the start. They had a great turnout -- almost 200 runners. Nice. The weather was sunny and warm and the trail along the river was gorgeous. But I don't like warm temps. Heat + Hills = not a good race for Robyn. I still finished pretty good for me, just not really good for me like last weekend. I was 7th out of 19 in my age group. Always room for improvement, but it was fun (when it was all done), so that's what counts.

Bowling for Dollars:
After I got home from the race, I did find a few minutes to bond with the deck chair (you can't beat this perfect weather), then had to change into my bowling clothes. Is there such a thing? Yes, but not in my closet.

Jim and I were in a Scotch Doubles tournament with our friends Mike & Christine and Craig & Jenny. I did not realize until we got there that the format meant the guys would bowl first (in the first and third games) -- and if they didn't get a strike, their wives had to pick up the spare. Oh boy, that was not in my wheelhouse of skills, that's for sure.

Luckily my hubby, the one with hops here, got some strikes.

In the second and fourth games, the girls (Jenny, left, Christine and me) led off and the guys cleaned up our messes. I find I do not have that skill in my wheelhouse either. What an empty wheelhouse! Oh well, it was fun.

Surprise!
After the bowling tournament, we headed over to Danny K's restaurant to help stage a surprise birthday party for our friend Cathy, who turns 50 on Monday. Her daughter organized the whole event and her mom was surprised!

Cathy worked with both of us at the newspaper and then again at our current publishing company in Iola. In fact, she played a big role in me getting on board there. She now works in town so we don't see her as often as we should. It was nice to see some other former co-workers, too. Good time!

Hack & Pack:
We tried to get a good night's rest last night (didn't happen) because we had to be on the road at 5:30 a.m. to get to Wrightstown (near Green Bay) for a sunrise tee time. We joined our friends Scott and Sandy in the Hack & Pack Golf Tournament. Basically, we hacked up the course all morning and then ate a lunch while watching the Packer game in the clubhouse.

The one good thing about being up before dawn is that we enjoyed a nice sunrise during our 90+ minute commute.
We also witnessed the fog roll in but it was deemed "tolerable and playable" by the 8 a.m. shotgun start.

You can tell by Jim's early shot off the tee box that there was a lot of morning dew (not just our Diet Dew) on the course.

Here Scott hits the snot out of the ball!


Jim wore his Reds clothes since they are playing tonight. Must be nice to have a team to cheer for still. Sigh...
Sandy and I are always consistent with good drives so the guys didn't have anything to worry about there. All of us, however, struggled with the second shot and sometimes with putting. So while we finished at 4 under par it wasn't close to the winning score of 15-under. That's OK. We had a lot of fun and really, who could have predicted the perfect weather? Sunny and in the 80s? It's like summer! (And it felt like the beginning of the golf season for me anyway. Ha.)

Got home by 5 so Carter didn't suffer too much by himself. He actually was at a friend's for awhile so it all worked out.

Now I am eyeing the clock and wondering how soon is reasonable to hit the hay?? Being a weekend warrior is a noble effort. But it ain't easy!

No comments: