Tuesday, October 5, 2010

We've Got Spirit

It's homecoming week at Assumption so Carter is enjoying the "dress-up" days at school.

Yesterday was Hip-Hop Day so he revisited his "gangsta" look from last Halloween. Today they got to wear t-shirts for other kids to sign (I instructed him not to let anyone use a Sharpee 'cuz it bleeds right through to the skin. So far no "tattoos" in sight). Tomorrow will be Spirit Day so the cans of blue and white hair paint are on the bathroom counter just waiting for morning.

It's so great to see him embracing school spirit less than 2 month into his new digs. It's always good to feel a part of something and share the same beliefs and excitement and hope, isn't it?

By some strange coincidence tonight, my new fave show GLEE was addressing this issue of spirit, make that spirituality. Not everyone believes the same things or should be forced to. They gave a realistic illustration that when bad things happen, sometimes people don't turn to God, but turn away from Him instead so they have someone to blame.

I remarked to my family earlier today the God must think we Hedbergs are pretty special because He sure has given us lots of reasons to pray lately!

Tomorrow my 16-year-old niece undergoes surgery in the Twin Cities to remove an 11"x11"x4" cyst near her ovaries. They may have to remove parts of one or both ovaries as well. The good news is that they will be able to test it immediately to see if it is cancerous or not. I hope that it is all good news -- that she does not have cancer and that someday when she wants to, she'll be able to have children with no complications. I hope this, yes, but know that God has His own plans in place. When I pray, I am asking for comfort and for strength for my sister and her family to get through whatever God places on their plate.

I also learned today my dad, who turns 83 this month, is not doing well at all. He has a severe viral infection of some sort that seems like a wicked cough and cold but requires antibiotics -- and could require a hospital stay if his condition doesn't improve by week's end. He is quite weak and honestly doesn't seem to have the strength or will to fight this.

I realized today (as I wept silently at my desk) that even though I thank God daily for our health and I ask Him to watch over my family, I am not yet ready to face the inevitable with my parents. My dad has been in such poor health so often the past few years but somehow he always manages to pull through. What if he doesn't this time? Or next time?

That is not my worry. It can be my concern but I can't worry. I can only ask again for God's spirit to strengthen me and get me though it.

Yes, we've got spirit. And it's a wonderful thing.

No comments: