Friday, October 22, 2010

Our Money's Worth

With the wheel-less situation, I was confined to working at home today. I called the garage, though, right at 8 a.m. to see if they could look at our precious piece of under-performing pooh. Our mechanic said I could bring it in whenever this morning and they'd get to when they could.

Knowing that I had one-way ride, I waited until the temps got out of the 20s first and then dropped it off. I was dressed in running gear plus stocking hat and gloves for the "trip" home. Now the last time I ran over to this garage, I grossly underestimated the distance and found myself running an extra mile than anticipated to get there. This time, I was well prepared for the 4.2-mile trek. I wasn't in the mood for it. But I was prepared. And I did it. Got home safely, showered and sat back at the computer.

The unfortunate thing about working at home 2 days before THE GAME, is that no only could see me in my pretty purple clothes -- not that I'd wear Vikings lounge pants to work, but I would have at least thrown on the old Moss jersey!

The garage called a few hours later and told me the damage. The temp problem is due to the water pump and the "vibrations" are due to deteriorating rack and pinion (or is pinions?) Either way, it sounds expensive to fix -- and it is.

So I called hubby (he's the one with the cell phone in Vegas) and we decided it would be better to invest that money into a new/different vehicle. Our little Civic, gave us a good ride for 216,000-plus miles! We got our money's worth and really can't complain (though I have this week, haven't I?).

When I called the mechanic back I got a surprise. He said if we didn't have plans for it, he'd buy it off our hands. Well we figured we'd almost have to pay someone to take it away, so I jumped at the offer. So here we are full circle. Saying goodbye (soon) to one Honda and likely shopping for another.

I guess I'm not too heart-broken or anything. I just realized we had her for 6 years and never even named her!

No comments: