Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid?

As parents, we want our children to inherit the best of both of us. Who doesn't want their child to have brains, brawn and beauty, plus be sensitive and sensible and have a sense of humor?

The problem is when something quirky shows up in the gene pool. Then who's going to take ownership? Usually, in Carter's case, I get to take credit, er blame, for those! (Why is that??)

I honestly did not know the Squeamish Gene could be passed on from generation to generation. You know the one I'm talking about -- the Wimp Chromosome.... the Faint Factor....

I can pass out at the drop of a hat, well the drop of blood anyway. I am known to block the television screen with a pillow through much of Grey's Anatomy. I can't give blood anymore because they just can't find a way to keep me conscious.

It hasn't been fun to live with personally. And now I find out Carter's got "it."

My phone rang at work about 2:30 p.m. I could tell by the caller I.D. that it was a direct call that usually only comes from Carter or family. Knowing that school wasn't out, I said, "This can't be good." I was right.

The caller was one of Carter's teachers. As a mother, I can't begin to tell you how many thoughts went through my mind from the beginning of her sentence "Carter passed out in school today..." to the end of the sentence "... but we revived him and he's fine."

Here's a hint for you school personnel out there: Never use the word "revive" when talking to a worried mother! "We revived him" sounds way more serious than "He fainted after seeing something gross and we nudged him back awake." Which was actually the case.

Apparently they ended the day with a special speaker who came in to talk about his near-death experience after being crushed by a semi he was working on. I'm sure he talked about his faith and how that helped him through it all. But then he just had to show his scars and Carter, being of sound mind and weak stomach, fainted on the spot. Thankfully sitting and thankfully right by a group of teachers.

Colin gave him a ride home so he wouldn't have to ride the bus. He managed to get his homework done but then stuck to the couch. At first I figured he was really milking this for attention. But now I am thinking these complaints of cold hands and an "owie tummy" could mean he has a flu bug or something.

At least then we'd have hope this "thing" isn't permanent!

No comments: