Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Friends for Life

It dawned on me recently that I have now lived in Wisconsin Rapids 15 years. Yikes. I'm a lifer!

I started my new job at the newspaper here on Halloween of 1995. Basically, I donated 7 1/2 years there and now 7 1/2 years (and counting, hopefully) at my current job in Iola. That seems like a lifetime when I used to think 4 years was a marathon session at one employer!

The cool part has been working with some of the neatest people I'll ever know. The best part is that some of them have become lifelong friends!

Amazingly -- and I'll have to thank Facebook for some of this -- I am in still touch with my first editor ever (from the college newspaper), a couple of counselors from my Luther Point Bible Camp counseling days, a team of awesome Resident Assistants from Angell Hall, some wonderful girlfriends from the Marinette & Menominee newspapers, quite a few daily-grinders from the Trib and, last but not least, some incredibly talented people who have moved on from my current place of employment (not always by their choice).

When I think about every time I changed a job and looked forward to the new one, I was never really going to miss the old "job" itself, but the people. The ones who you bonded with -- sometimes all hours of the day and night -- and became like family (even those Packer fans).

This month as we lead up to Thanksgiving, I am taking time daily to think of something I am thankful for. Sure, I love my house and "new" car and Minnesota Twins purse, but they don't hold a candle to the people who have touched my life -- including those who saw me laugh, cry, run, stumble, "steam" and celebrate at work over the years.

Thanks for being there then -- and now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad we're still in touch! (Though not as often as either of us would probably like!) Hugs, Kariann :)

TRahn said...

Well said, well said Mrs. Austin.

Your friendship has certainly been a calm in many a storm, and a blessing in so many ways.