Friday, November 5, 2010

Lung Capacity

After coughing up half a lung during the night, I was in no mood to go to work today. But I had things to get done. Plus I had to make a quick trip to my "hair artist" this morning, too. So I toughed it out.

The coughing is sporadic during the daytime but I suddenly had flashbacks to early this summer when I thought perhaps I had a cold, then I thought I had allergies and then it turned out I had bronchitis. So I let hubby talk me into going to the walk-in clinic in Rapids after work.

First we had to pick up Carter at home and drop him off at basketball practice at 5:30.

I was lucky there was no waiting at the clinic. I was also lucky, well relieved, to hear I do not have bronchitis. It's just a cough and cold but they prescribed some good cough medicine that should help me at least sleep through the night -- and keep my other lung intact.

We had to wait a bit at the pharmacy but got done and realized it was only a little after 6 p.m. Carter's practice was supposed to go until 7 p.m. so we had time to kill. So we popped over to Rocky Rococo's for a little supper. (Sort of feeling guilty 'cause Carter only had a bowl of cereal for his pre-practice meal!)

Went to the gym at 6:40 and expected we'd have to wait for Carter to get done but he was already sitting out. Turns out he did not even have practice. Only the 8th-graders did! He did try to call my cell phone and guess what? Bad mom did not have it on! I forgot other people can have emergencies, too!

On the way home, I started wondering if maybe I wrote the practice schedule down wrong on the calendar. To my relief, I had it correct. Jim called the coach and apparently the kids were told Tuesday night there would be no practice Friday. So ultimately it's Carter's fault for not listening. But Mom feels mega-guilty for not having her phone on AND eating at Rocky's, too!

Carter says to just forget about it (I think because he knows he somehow screwed up). We can't really get mad about it. We had to be in town for the doctor anyway. Plus, how's it going to look to praise a kid up and down one day and then expose his irresponsibility the next? (I'll just have to blame the assistant coach for not announcing it loud enough.)

The only other "negative" of the day was that I had great hair... and this is the one time I did not run into anyone I knew at Wal-Mart! If I was wearing sweats and no makeup, I would have seen a minimum of 5 people, I'm sure of it!

Ahh, time to take my medicine and get over it.

No comments: