Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey and Stuffing

We all know we're going to overeat on Thanksgiving. We tell ourselves we'll take it easy this year. We'll just take little portions. Of everything. And suddenly your plate is full. And you have to clean your plate.

Then you are stuffed.

But wait. There's pumpkin pie...

Ohmigosh! You can't say "no" to it when you only have it once, maybe twice, a year! But oh I am regretting it now.

I am super stuffed. And it's been hours since we finished eating! I guess the first thing I should be thankful for today is that I did not go hungry!

I am also thankful for my in-laws, who hosted us and served up the best dressing on the planet plus the delicious pies! I'm also always thankful for my birth family, who are celebrating hundreds of miles away in their own homes or at their in-laws' today, too. I feel very grateful that we'll all still make the effort to gather again this weekend for my family's annual Cookie Bake & Exchange.

I was especially pleased today that our little family of 5 was all together, too. Casey came home from college and he and Clay joined us at Grandpa and Grandma Austins'. As much as I love seeing them, Carter is always 10 times more excited. He misses his big brothers so family time is not taken for granted.

Naturally, I am most thankful for my loving husband and wonderful son. They are the light of my world. If you would have told me 20 Turkey Days ago that someday I would love 2 people this much, I could not have believed it possible. God has truly blessed me. And I thank Him for it every day, believe me.

I hope you found much to be thankful for today, too. Sure it's cold and the roads are crappy and maybe your favorite NFL team is in the toilet. Take a look at the big picture though, and you'll see that it's not so bad. In fact, life is good!

Maybe tonight when we go to bed we can count our blessings instead of sheep. I should probably start now. You know what they say: Early to bed... Early to buys...

No comments: