Wednesday, November 17, 2010

In Hot Water

Usually when someone's "in hot water" they are are in big trouble. I'm here to tell you, though, that hot water can be a good thing. A great thing, actually. Even the most desirable thing in the world.

Especially when you don't have it.

Sometime around 8 p.m. last night I went down in the basement to grab Carter's clothes out of the dryer. I was walking into the dark utility room and my foot sort of when "splat" in a "splash" kind of ways. When I reached the light switch I realized we had a path of water a few feet wide next to one of the walls. There was no "stream" from the washing machine so, after calling hubby down, we determined it was coming from the water heater. After further investigation, we could see there was a slow leak. Thank goodness for SLOW leaks! Or that part of our basement would have been really flooded!

As it was, it took a good half hour to hour of mopping it up while Jim got on the Handy Helper Hotline. In other words, he called his sister's husband and it was another episode of Brother-in-Law Baird to the Rescue! Baird, who also is the mechanical genius behind his son Colin's race car, just knows things!

He figured out some coil thing was broken or whatever. Not sure what it meant but he had to disconnect everything and we had to drain it. I earned lots of steps hauling pails of water out to the back yard! By then, I was tired and just saw dollar signs, a short night and a cold shower in my future.

Jim and I had already planned to get up way early, as in 4:30 am., so we could work 6-2 today and get Carter to an early basketball practice and then confirmation, etc. So despite not getting the water heater situation under control until 10 p.m. or so, we still got up early, I took the world's fastest shower and we hit the road shortly after 5 a.m. Ugh.

I was wicked tired all day but I got so much done that it went fast. Got home and dropped hubby off so he and Baird could go spend our shopping money shopping for a new water heater. I took care of shuffling Carter around, getting some groceries and visiting friends. I definitely got the easy job.

I got home a little after 6 and they were "getting close." Then Baird had to run to the store again for another part of some kind. So now it's almost 2 hours later and they are "getting close." Nothing is ever easy -- especially when only one person knows what they are doing. No offense to hubby. I mean we both acknowledge that neither one of us is "handy." This is not the first time (nor last, I'm sure) that Baird has bailed us out.

I'm just hoping we can have lukewarm showers in the morning. If nothing else, I guess we can dip in the hot tub.

That's the other "hot water" I don't mind getting into!

No comments: