Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Eyes of March

Since Carter and I both had afternoon eye appointments, I worked from home today so I wouldn't waste that pesky commute time.

It was a pretty good setup. I was on the computer before 8 a.m. as usual and Carter slept until 10 so I had 2 hours of uninterrupted work! Then he was on the couch watching TV awhile since he really has to ease into his day. Poor kid. So I kept working in the computer room.

About 11 a.m., I brought out the laptop and did some putzy work that could allow me to carry on a conversation with Carter or, in our case today, sort of watch a movie with him. Thankfully, Megamind did not require my 100% attention!

I did take a lunch break to go for a little 2-mile run with him. We are not even close to being ready for a race in 10 days. Oh well, that's why they call them "fun runs" right?

We had eye appointments in the late afternoon. On the way, we stopped to drop off some tables at the babysitter's for the garage sale next weekend. (Yes, I still call her "babysitter" even though Carter's all grown up!)

The eye appointments were your standard annual exams. Except they dilated my pupils, which I hate, especially on bright, sunny days!

We knew Carter would need updated glasses because his eyes have gotten slightly worse in the past 2 years. He was happy to learn that he isn't color blind just color deficient. That's the politically correct way to say it. After the eye doctor was done examining him, he said to Carter, "So, do you have any questions for me?"

"Yes," Carter replies, "It's sort of an eye doctor question. How do scientists know that animals are color blind?"

Hmmm, good question.

The doctor was so surprised at the question, he almost laughed. He explained a good "LeRoy" answer, like I would, but then admitted, "That's what Google is for." (I bet he doesn't ask kids for questions again!)

They were able to cut Carter's new lenses to fit his old frames. While they did that, Carter and I went to grab a bite to eat. He felt very strange not having any glasses on. I was dying from the bright sun. We made quite a pair walking into Taco John's. I couldn't even see my money right and the cashier just looked at me waiting for me to give her enough. Duh, me.

After we picked up his "new" glasses, Carter realized they take some getting used to. If you've ever put on a pair of stronger glasses, you know how the floor can tilt and things are a bit skewed. So he can't walk a straight line and I am wearing my sunglasses indoors. Now we really made quite a pair -- the blind leading the blind -- when we stopped in at church to help with the soup supper.

Thankfully neither one of us poured any hot soup or coffee on anyone!

It's just good to be home safe and sound with reasonably sized pupils once again.

No comments: