Saturday, March 19, 2011

Water Under the Bridge

In retrospect, we should have spent less time watching basketball and the moon, and more time paying attention to what was happening in our house.

We thought our water pump was running for a few hours last evening because it does when the water softener cycles through every few days. But then it wouldn't quit. When hubby realized it was hot to the touch, he shut it off. When he turned it back on, there was water spewing out. So he wisely shut it back off and unplugged it.

Unfortunately, it was too late to call anyone so we used the last few drops to brush our teeth and I was allowed to go potty once but couldn't flush. The guys, being guys, could just go outside. I felt like I had reverted back to my somewhat impoverished childhood. But back then, we were lucky enough to have an outhouse as an option at least (and I don't say that often).

Needless to say. Today was an interesting day.

I now appreciate running water and indoor plumbing more than ever. Let's see, I couldn't wash my hands, couldn't make coffee, couldn't do the mountain of laundry, couldn't run the dishwasher, couldn't mop the floor (and I swear that was on my to-do list today because it was going to be warm and sunny).

By 11 a.m., I made the excuse to run to Wal-Mart just so I could really go potty. Of course, with Murphy's Law on our side, I get there and the bathroom is "Closed for Cleaning." They are just lucky they have extra bathrooms in back that I knew nothing about until today!

While that was going on, Jim had no luck with plumbers or professional "water pump people" of any kind in the yellow pages. Thankfully, our next-door neighbor put us in touch with someone who got someone else and they ended up taking care of us. Expensive, but worth it.

Carter and I went for a run while they were finishing up. When we got back, I had a shower, sweet shower! We all got our showers done, then laundry, then dishes. Yay!

You'd think that would have been the highlight of the day, but no, it got even better.

Today was the first day single-game tickets went on sale for the Twins. Last season -- their inaugural year outside -- I got shut out. Tickets were sold out immediately. Today it seemed that the same thing was going to happen. Finally, after sitting 44 minutes in the "Virtual Waiting Room," I got in! I had a tough time getting 3 tickets but finally found 3 for their July 4th game. We'll be sitting pretty high up, but hey, we will be sitting in Target Field! I am so excited! Yay again!

Now if the Badgers can pull out a win tonight, the cheering around here will continue. It'll seem like our plumbing problems are already water under the bridge.

Until we get the bill.

No comments: