Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ides of March

We are warned to "beware the Ides of March!" But if you are not Julius Caesar, who was assassinated on this date in 44 B.C., there's nothing to be afraid of. Is there?

Not really. Especially if it's just your average, sunny, snow-melting kind of Spring day.

In fact, I think I figured out what the Ides of March really mean in modern times. Every year about mid-March, I am sure I am not the only one thinking:

Ide rather be somewhere warm.

Ide rather be golfing.

Ide rather be sitting out on the deck than shoveling it.

Ide rather be tan than winter white.

Ide rather be in the "after" picture of my fitness makeover than still in the "before."

And, of course, Ide rather be eating ice cream than Lent-induced low-fat pudding or yogurt!

Yup, the only true danger of the Ides of March is when my mind is Idle.

No comments: