Monday, March 14, 2011

Pace Maker

I've opened up an interesting can of worms in our household... Oh, maybe I shouldn't say "worms" with Carter around.

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that Carter went running with me Saturday. I often ask for company before I head out but I usually (OK, never) get any takers in this house. So I think maybe Carter just said yes because he didn't want me to feel bad. Like I said, we eased into it so it wouldn't be a negative (or painful) experience for him. So in the end, he was OK with it and said, sure, he'd go again.

Fast forward 24 hours to Sunday evening when I am filling out a registration form for an upcoming 5K race in Wisconsin Rapids. As usual, it's for a good cause, this one benefits the local Task Force Against Child Abuse.

I turned to Carter and asked if he wanted to run it with me. I wasn't expecting him to, so I gave it a soft sell. I said we'd only have a little more than a month to get him ready, but I promised I would run with him the whole race -- I wouldn't worry about beating any personal time. I would run with him at his pace and walk with him if he needed it.

He said, "Sure! This will be good, Mom. You can pace me and encourage me and I can do the same for you if you get tired."

Really? Wow, OK.

So I added his name and mailed it in, reminding him that now he really couldn't come up with a million excuses not to run a few times a week. And you know what? I can't either!

Fast forward another 24 hours to this evening.

Thankfully, with Daylight Saving Time, it is light out later so Carter and I could go for a little walk/run after I got home from work. We went a little further this time -- 2.5 miles -- and I think walked a little less. He did great. In fact, I think he even enjoyed himself. And, since I can't seal this can of worms, I am quite prepared that in the near future, he's going to start to like it like I do and, eventually, he's gonna kick my butt!

Competitive Robyn would hate that! And maybe slightly competitive Momma does, too. But mostly, I think this is a darn cool (and healthy) way to spend some extra one-on-one time with my baby.

Even if he sets a fast pace!

No comments: