Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Here We Go Again

Day Two of Single Parenthood began with one of us getting a good night's sleep and the other one, not so much.

I finally was feeling myself again but Carter was out of sorts in a tired way. Later, the lack of sleep and a graphic science class discussion on tapeworms was Carter's undoing.

So while I am trying to be good and run on the treadmill at the fitness center over lunch, Carter is calling his mommy 3 times at work... and having to leave 3 messages. The first said, "Please come get me." The second said, "Grandpa's coming to get me." The third said, "I'm home." And the fourth call I answered on the second ring as I got back to my desk.

But I'm not losing my Mother of the Year points due to a lack of availability. Oh, it's much worse.

Carter is fine being home by himself but we all know a child just wants his mother nearby when he's not feeling well. So he asked if I could come home early. I said I had an important "meeting" at 1:30 but could probably leave the office by 2:30. No, I did not mention that the "meeting" was actually a chair massage. And no, I really couldn't pass it up after my tense weekend.

Yes, you are free to judge me at this point.

I told Carter to sleep and I'd be home. He actually slept for about 90 minutes and then felt good. So it just must have been that. Hopefully we are not seeing a pattern of him getting sick when Dad's away just so he can spend time with Mom. It just seems to work out that way. Good thing this is Jim's last trip for awhile!

So since he was better, I shuttled him into town for confirmation. Then, dropped off those priceless Cricut cartridges at my friend's Jenny's house so she could use them this coming weekend on her scrap retreat. Of course, I brought my "work in progress" album so she could "ooh" and "ahh" appropriately. Us scrappers are very supportive of one another and definitely appreciate the thinking and creativity behind each page!

Her son, who's a big fan of Carter, was looking at the album, too. When Jenny said Carter is cute, her son said, "No he's not." She said, "Is he handsome then?" He answered, "No, he's cool!"

So there's a difference between cute and cool, in case you didn't know. I suppose it's all how you look at it. Just like there's a difference between a selfish mom and a chiropractically health-conscious one, right?

Right?

No comments: