Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kiss Me, I'm Irish (for Today)

I woke up with an Irishman in my bed. I kissed a young Irishman on the couch on my way to my first cup of coffee. So that makes me Irish by some sort of osmosis, right? At least for today.

We all wore some form of green -- Jim a Celtics shirt and sweatshirt, Carter a St. Patrick's Day t-shirt that said "Kiss me I'm Irish" (but he had no takers, allegedly), and me, just a generic green sweatshirt.

It was good enough to get me a cupcake with mint green frosting for an early morning snack and a doughnut with green sprinkles on it for a late-morning snack. It looked like I was on a mission to consume a whole lotta empty green calories, but I tapered off. A Shamrock Shake would have been the perfect ending of the day... but, of course, I didn't give it a second thought.

Today was also the first real action in the NCAA tournament. All 3 of us did a bracket for a work pool. I did mine in record time this morning just to get it in in time. Based on early games, it would appear I consulted a Blarney Stone for my picks. Yikes. I do not see a pot o' gold in the hands of this leprechaun after the Big Dance!

Since yesterday was my mother-in-law's birthday, we stopped over there this evening to drop off her card and gift. She convinced us to have a bowl of her yummy beef soup -- much better than corned beef and cabbage, in my opinion.

After we left there, we stopped at ShopKo and I bought Carter his first pair of "real" running shoes! Now he doesn't have to log miles in his basketball shoes -- which were great for the vertical leap and fast breaks but not so good for the long haul (in my self-proclaimed expert opinion). So now he should be able to kick my butt sooner rather than later.

We got home just in time to meet up with the Schwan's man. I told him he better have an Andes Mint Pie in his truck. I knew he didn't. Those were so last season. I did let him know I've given up ice cream for Lent so he might as well not show up until after Easter! I don't think he has confidence in my willpower 'cause he said he'll be back in 2 weeks.

I can do this!

Tomorrow is just another normal, non-minty day. I'll still kiss a couple of Irishmen in the morning. I'll still put up with their blarney all day. But I'll probably just wear red.

No comments: