Monday, March 28, 2011

Rose-Colored Glasses

Today was Carter's first day of Spring Break. This year, he's one of those unfortunate souls who has a "stay-cation" -- as in not going anywhere and having a boring time at home because Dad and Mom have to work.

I figure to keep him just on the busy side of boredom, I'd make a little list of things for him to do each day. C'mon, I'm not an evil mother. There is no dusting or vacuuming -- just things like blowing his bugle and getting some reading done. Today, he also had the "game closet" to tackle.

A week ago, when we needed the new water pump installed, we had to remove a shelf (and games) from the closet where the old pump sits. As long as we had half the games out, I said Carter should go through them and see what he's "too old" to play with anymore. Then we can put those games on the upcoming garage sale.

Much to my surprise, he actually went through this and found some to get rid of. Then he found a jackpot, too, in a box of treasured junk I probably have moved with me 8 times since high school.

Seriously.

So when I got the following email from him at work, I laughed right out loud. Very loud.

"Mom, I just found 7 AWESOME sun glasses in the closet and they're all mine after I wash them."

OK, picture Tom Cruise in Risky Business and you know what two of the pairs look like. Then we've got some white ones and colorful lenses on another pair -- not quite rose-colored glasses since they come from more of a neon stage.

Oh boy, the '80s live on! At least in one corner of a closet! And Carter thinks they're cool so maybe the '80s weren't as laughable as everyone thinks.

Right. Now who's looking through rose-colored glasses??

No comments: