Friday, March 11, 2011

Speed Bumps

Nothing like waking up to news of a devastating earthquake and tsunami to put our problems into perspective.

Who cares if we have to re-enter hundreds of family tree names and dates? We have a computer to do it on, in a dry room, with a roof over our heads. That is a blessing we can't overlook.

It makes me realize that for today anyway, my "bumps" in the road are barely something to trip over compared to what others are going through. And maybe those bumps aren't necessarily rough spots, after all. They are just speed bumps reminding me to slow down, look around and take stock of all my blessings.

If a giant wave came today and washed away all my things -- including our family tree information -- I would be upset, yes. Devastated, no. Not if I still had my family (except those nameless ancestors -- and yes, I will recover from this) and my friends. That is what means more to me than any thing -- even ice cream (and yes, I will recover from that, too).

Sometimes we just need to hear of a natural disaster or great loss closer to home to stop and think about how good we have it.

I had a crazy day at work but it's employment (yay) where I can use my talents and skills every day (and get paid for it). I had a nice fish fry with my guys and a girlfriend over at St. Lawrence tonight. Hubby always knows everyone but I saw several of MY own friends, too. What a treat to have such great people in my life! Later, I dropped off Carter to see a movie with some friends. What a blessing to have a healthy, caring and obviously charming child who makes new friends (girls included).

Yep. It's all good.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: