Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Flaking Out

I would never poke fun of a community suffering from a natural disaster. But, I can't resist a few jabs at drivers in Atlanta who cannot handle a few inches of snow. They are literally flaking out!

One headline read: Atlanta descends into complete gridlock after 3 inches of snow

This is serious. Not something from the satirical publication The Onion.


The caption on this photo read: Abandoned cars are piled up on the median of ice-covered Cobb Parkway in Atlanta after a winter snow storm slammed the city with over 2 inches of snow that turned highways into parking lots creating massive traffic jams.

I realize that I am a Northwoods girl, but I find this incredulous. When my sister (also a Northwoods gal) lived north of Atlanta and commuted there daily, she said that on the rare occasion they'd get ice or snow, she would stay home -- not because she couldn't handle it. She was afraid of the other drivers who couldn't!

I am almost relieved Carter is learning to drive during winter. He is forced to get the hang of braking, steering and accelerating on slippery streets -- without causing traffic gridlock.

I suppose we just take these skills for granted. Just like people who drive on 6-lane freeways to go to work and countries where drivers navigate on the "wrong" side of the road. A person gets used to what a person knows.

Still.... This was amusing...


OK, I am done poking fun now. I shouldn't throw stones or snowballs. I mean, if you ever saw me TRY to drive a stick, you'd have "Flaking Out -- The Sequel" in the making!

On the other hand, I used to be a rock star at whipping "doughnuts" on the ice! (You southerners just wouldn't understand.)


No comments: