Sunday, January 26, 2014

Prayer Chain


When this morning's sermon at church focused on John 3:16, I had no idea there were more lessons of sons and sacrifice to be learned today...

I don't care how spiritual or religious or close to perfect anyone claims to be. None of us would willingly sacrifice our sons (or daughters), would we? I don't think so.

But I imagine it's not any easier to have them taken from us on God's terms, either.

Today I have two sons of God (and sons of cousins) who I am praying for and asking you to join me. One is on my mom's side of the family and the other on my dad's.

Shortly after church, I learned that my cousin's 34-year-old son (a father himself) was struck and killed by a car while he was walking alongside the road in the early morning darkness. Authorities reported, "It was snowing heavily at the time and poor visibility was a factor in the accident."

I don't know any further details. No matter what the circumstances, though, it is a terrible tragedy for his wife and daughter, his parents and family, and his fellow members of the volunteer fire department where he served as Deputy Chief.

The truly tragic irony is that my cousin and her sister have both lost sons now. And both by accident. I can tell you as a mother that it doesn't matter if he is 8 years old (like my cousin who died 30-some years ago) or 34 years old, losing a child would break my heart into a million pieces.

Please pray for Chad and all who knew and loved him.

On the other side of the world, another cousin's first grandchild was born today on a military base in the south Pacific. This struggling boy arrived 5 weeks early. He is in a military hospital without an NICU. His lungs weren't ready for this early arrival, so if they aren't able to help him in Guam, he may be sent to Japan for care.

Please pray for little Avery, his family and the medical professionals called to help him.

And, if you are able to hug your child today (or reach them via phone or email), please pray to God and thank Him!

I know there's one teenager on Blue Jay Drive feeling a bit smothered today. But I am just so grateful to have him. To hold him. To love him.

For today.





No comments: