Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Good Goofs

Not to tarnish my perfect Betty Crocker reputation, but sometimes I goof.

Oh, I'm not talking about cooking. I don't know enough about it to try anything hard enough to screw up.

Baking, on the other hand, is a joy for me. I love mixing things up and creating my own "new" recipes. Then sharing the good stuff -- and hopefully bringing some joy to others. Or at least spreading out the calories.

Sometimes I goof, though. And I have learned that there are people in this world -- two under this roof -- who will eat those goofs. And like 'em!

Tonight was a stretch, though.

I got this urge in my apron to make those tasty Monster Cookies again that went over so well at Christmas. You know, the recipe that made 17.4 dozen and I thought those would last until Easter? Not sure where they all went but I wanted to make some more. This time, though, I halfed the recipe so I could stir it up in one big bowl and get them baked in a timely fashion.

I got the ingredients but in the back of my mind did not think I needed a huge container of oatmeal since I was cutting the recipe in half. I didn't even bother looking at the container to see how many cups were in there. When I was almost done mixing up the cookies and it was time to add 9 cups of oatmeal, that is when I realized I was going to be short. Not just a little short where it wouldn't matter. But 2 1/2 cups short.... Where I hoped it wouldn't matter.

Turns out, it mattered.

The recipe has no flour so the oatmeal is the "glue" that sticks the ingredients together and adds some bulk. After my first pan turned out to be liquidated Monsters, I did the logical thing I usually do to avoid the 8-mile round trip to Wal-Mart. I ask my neighbors.

I am so lucky that whether I need a cup of sugar or 2 cups of oatmeal that someone comes through! Tonight, Cindy across the street had enough on hand to salvage my goof. (Thank you!)

The rest of the cookies were still a bit "off" from the perfect first attempt back in November, but they are edible. Good enough for my guys at home -- not like they don't deserve the good stuff, too -- and probably good enough for my guys at work -- who also deserve better but take what I give!

So what did I learn from this?

One, some recipes are meant to be followed. Two, read the labels so you can follow it. Three, I'm human. And Four, thank goodness my life in the kitchen is a cross between Disney World and Sesame Street -- where I can be Goofy and the Cookie Monster!

Happy eating!


No comments: