Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Things that Make you Say "Uff Da"

Uff da: A fun expression used by Norwegians and other nationalities. It's a polite expression generally referring to a mistake or an "oh darn" experience, or even a "whoops!" 

 Things that made me say "Uff da!" today..

Silent Alarm: Ever wake up and realize it was not because of your alarm clock, but rather an internal alarm screaming: "You overslept"? Apparently I forgot to turn my alarm on but I did wake up to hubby's. Thank goodness he still gets up early even though he works at home! That shock of looking at the clock and realizing I should be in the shower was Uff Da worthy!

Fashion Police: Want to know where I get one-fourth of my fashion sense? Meet Norway's Olympic curling team!


Oh my. This was an Uff Da and laugh-out-loud moment all in one. No one can claim we Norwegians are boring. Maybe not easy on the eyes either! I am afraid to see what the Swedish team is wearing. That makes up the other three-fourths of my fashion non-sense!

Boys will be Boys: Went to the Assumption boys hoops game tonight. They hosted Edgar, who came to play basketball -- and maybe football? They looked the part, too. I noted to another mother my age that boys in my high school were not "sculpted" like THAT back in the day. Uff da! I was paying attention to the game, too. Very physical contest. But we did win!

Boys will be Boys - Part 2: I learned tonight via another mother that Carter plans to go to some dance on Saturday night. I swear, boys do not know how to communicate anything! And he's not even sure where the dance is. At least I found out 4 days in advance and not late Saturday afternoon when it's  suddenly time to iron something or find camera batteries. Uff da!

Polar Vortex - Part 2 or 3 or ... : We mostly hovered in the negative temps AGAIN today. I realize we are in Wisconsin and it is January, but this it getting old already. Old Man Winter, I think you should take a vacation. You've been working far too hard already. Brrr. And Uff Da!

Time to get in my warm bed. Hopefully I won't have any dizzying visions of curlers or basketball players dancing in my head. But if it's good, I may end up sleeping through another alarm.

Uff da :)


No comments: