Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hearty Souls


Our high today was 8 degrees ... at 5 minutes after midnight. Temps have dropped slowly and steadily since and it's not going to be pretty when all is said and done. It's minus 5 now but FEELS like minus 30.

Since I had to read at 8 o'clock church, I got up and braved the elements -- against my hubby's wishes. After a much better night's sleep with less coughing than the previous two nights, I figured I might as well fulfill my obligation. He thought I should probably stay in bed.

Believe me, after going outside to start the car, I wanted to!

The church crowd was pretty thin compared to usual so I thanked the "hearty souls" for being there. After church, I stopped to get some groceries at Wal-Mart. From the time it took me to walk out with them and load them in my car, my ears were frozen. The wind was just harsh enough I could feel the cold steel of my earring posts in my ears. Ouch.

Since I smartly have a hat in the car, I put that on before I stopped to fill up the gas tank. I am glad I only needed half a tank. My fingers -- with gloves on -- were frozen by the time I was done!

I stayed warm this afternoon baking a cake and making chili -- plus playing cards and watching the Packer game.

I am so glad I did not have to go outside again. And so glad I did not have to entertain any thoughts whatsoever of sitting at an outdoor football game today. That must have been wicked. Then, after hours of suffering in the arctic air, to have your team lose in the end. Ouch.

I sincerely just hope everyone kept their fingers and toes -- and I guess cheeseheads -- intact. Nothing is worth that. I don't care who you are.

Be careful out there! Or better yet -- just don't go out there.


No comments: